Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penalty Charges When Travelling Without Ticket

What are the penalty rules in Indian railways for Sleeper Class when :

1. Boarding in a reserved coach of a train at originating station till journey to the intermediate station (not the last station), with general class unreserved ticket?

2. Boarding in a reserved coach of a train at originating station till journey to the intermediate station (not the last station), without having any ticket?

RE: Penalty Charges

Here is the ticket penalty details.

If you board train with General Ticket anytime in any coach, you'll not be charged any penalty if there is vacancy in the coach you're in. So you'll only be charged difference in fare of actual ticket and the general ticket you hold. Assuming there is no vacancy even in lower classes. If there is then go and get the ticket without penalty for the lower class berth and look for upgrade.

But if there is no vacancy in the coach you're in then you'll be charged minimum penalty of Rs. 250. In all cases if ticket cost is more than Rs. 250 then equal amount of penalty will be recovered when no vacancy is there.

If there is no vacancy then you'll be charged penalty based on Sleeper class and you'll be asked to move to Sleeper class if you're in any upper classes(AC etc). After penalty you'll be fully allowed to continue your journey but only in Sleeper class till the end of your journey. You'll not be asked to de-board.

Also if you board the train with Platform ticket then it be mandatory for you to pay penalty if you don't get certificate from Train Guard( the last coach of train).

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for the information.
      I heard from few of friends that if one get a general class ticket & request TTE to convert it to reserved ticket, before boarding the train, we need not to pay penalty of Rs.250.
      Is there any such rule??

Also, recently I tried to know from TTE about such travels ( Travel with General Ticket), but no one was able to answer properly & had difference of penalty charges for same case.
      Where can we get complete & trustworthy information?

Comment

RE: Penalty Charges When Travelling Without Ticket

Yes there is one. You did not ask so I did not answer it. I'll update you soon ...

Comment

Sorry for confusion .. I've corrected the answer above, this will answer your question. Let me know any doubts you have.

Comment

I was travelling in Marudhar Train from Agra fort to Lucknow, before getting into train i asked to TTE about Seat availability he told me to sit in S4 coach, then he came and asked for penalty of Rs. 250 and the difference of excess fair as I was having the General ticket with me. the receipt which he gave was of only excess fair. When I told him that if the seat is available then only excess fair is charged and asked him to show the rule book he refused to do so and started to give rubbish logics. In these cases what can I do. Is there any rule book available for public so that its reference can be given. I knew it very well that only the excess fair is charged but how to face this type of situation.

Comment

That means he has pocketed the penalty. There is a complaint register in Railways where you can complain. This is corruption complaint you should contact Railways vigilance.

Comment

• 1st Answer.
                  First I will make clear different types of tickets in Railways:
                  • Ordinary ticket- this ticket used for local train travelling
                  • Mail express train ticket- this ticket for mail express trains for journal class coach...
                  • Superfast ticket- this ticket for sulerfast train for journal class coach.

If you have Mail Express or Superfast ticket then TTE will convert your ticket in sleeper class without penalty if seats are available. If seats are not available then TTE have power to charge penalty.

If you have ordinary ticket and board in Mail Express or Superfast train then TTE will charge you as a without ticket.....
                • 2nd. Answer
                  First station is A and last is D, your boarding station is A but when TTE comes on station B. Then you will be charged :
                  Basic Sleeper class fare station from, A to B + B to C (this fare can be taken in two parts) + 250 Rupees penalty... if station A to B's fare is more then 250 Rupees then your penalty will be equivalent to A to B fare...

Comment

My issue is that i was travelling in awadh express on 20 march from motihari to kota but due to some reason i went to the next station which is just after kota jn but TTE was asking me to pay penalty of 370 rupees but the fare of that distance is only 30 rupees i am a student of class 11 so i request him to leave me but he starts threating of jail me thats why i have to pay. Is this is reasonable if not then what can i do...

Comment

With your valuable information, it is cleared about Rail rule on penalty charge if passenger travelling without valid ticket. However I need one clarifications only i.e. I get in a Express train from station A and my destination station is D. Being a passenger in hurry, I cdnt find any TTE in / near my coach and no TTE also seen in the station platform to whome i sd approach for upgradation of my ticket i.e. unreserved. I need to travel in a SL coach. I went to pentry car to search TTE but they r also not avl there then I got relaxed n waiting for TTE. At stn B, I saw a TTE n asked that " I hv a second class unreserved ticket so kindly validate to travel in SL class. However there were vacant seats avl in that coach.

But TTE took excess fare + penalty (Rs 250/-) with this logic as I should have appraoched him at my originating station i.e. A. But at stn A there not visible n its not feasible to search them throuh out the train..kind advise on this...plz

Comment

Working...
                    X